By John Klein (aka Saskboy)
Despite audio evidence of widespread illegal robocalls, the Commissioner of Elections Canada has announced “no offenses committed.”
Robo-call scandal fizzles out. Commish of Elections says no offenses committed, but notes investigation powers limited and info lacking.
— Don Martin (@DonMartinCTV) April 24, 2014
Canadians have had a heaping helping of obvious crime going unpunished, where Conservatives are the apparent benefactors. I sadly predicted this ludicrous situation with a satirical piece I wrote last year that many people mistook for reality: ConCalls: It’s Over RoboCon
So of 1,700 complaints, looks like Commissioner got usable phone records on only 129. — Glen McGregor (@glen_mcgregor) April 24, 2014
Among the bewildering improbable findings by the Commish is this: “It is useful to note, moreover, that the data gathered in the investigation does not lend support to the existence of a conspiracy or conspiracies to interfere with the voting process (see, for example, sections 1.3 and 4.3).”
A Federal Court Judge ruled the opposite! He found fraud was likely in multiple ridings, which as we know from the highly “secure” CIMS database, requires CPC HQ authorization to be available in multiple ridings. Local staff do not have access to riding information elsewhere in the country, so there would have to be a conspiracy for identical fraud to be happening in more than one riding, as the Federal Court ruled.
Cote: “Investigators were told that no telemarketer had independent access to the Conservative Party’s CIMS database . . .”
— Alex Boutilier (@alexboutilier) April 24, 2014
Someone, that is, committed massive electoral fraud, in a way that could only benefit the Conservative party and making use of proprietary party information. But they did it without the party’s knowledge or participation. Or what else can one conclude from Thursday’s ruling by Federal Court Judge Richard Mosley
Apparently Elections Canada can conclude what they did after 2008′s malicious robocalls in the S-GI riding of B.C., and drop the whole thing because investigations are harrrrd.
Cote: “Simply arranging interviews took a long time (in some cases, months). There were also instances of outright refusal to co-operate” — Stephen Maher (@stphnmaher) April 24, 2014
But, “Overall, no discernible pattern of misdirection, such as a single predominant [incoming] calling number” among robocalls complainants. — Glen McGregor (@glen_mcgregor) April 24, 2014
Commissioner says investigation hampered because “no legal requirement for a telephone service provider to retain call records.” — Glen McGregor (@glen_mcgregor) April 24, 2014
On incoming calls to robocalls complainants: “Some numbers originated w/ US service providers, all of whom similarly refused to co-operate.” — Glen McGregor (@glen_mcgregor) April 24, 2014
Ex-SCoC justice Louise Charron reviewed probe: “with respect to most cases it was impossible to determine the identity of the caller” — Stephen Maher (@stphnmaher) April 24, 2014
The Canadian people know when they’re being fed smoke and mirrors, and things taste very smoky and shiny right now.